Luckily the good weather continues, so I was able to wait with her outside the vet's, where they are of course observing strict social distancing. Someone came out to fetch her, and I passed ten minutes with a book, in spring sunshine striated with the shadows of blossoming branches, something that in normal circumstances would have been very pleasant. Eventually the vet came out and, sitting crosslegged on the wall, told me in her best kerbside manner that Jessie would need to have her whole eyeball removed, and that at her age and with her low weight she may not survive it. We await the outcome of the operation, probably tomorrow.
I'm sure she would look good in a patch, but if she comes home it will be with her eyelid sewn down over the cavity.
At least I was here to take her. If things had gone according to plan, I would be three miles above Tashkent by now, en route to Kansai.