September 22nd, 2018


[Not] all Europe contributed to the making of Kurtz

DNA may not change, but DNA analysis does. Just a few weeks ago, I posted the results from my test, which looked like this:

DNA map

The other day I wanted to check it again, and logged into the site, only to find that the updated results are - considering the short time lag - already surprisingly different, presumably because of new data. Here's the updated me:

DNA map updated sept 2018

I've lost my Scandinavian, Iberian and Caucasian flourishes, and am now even more determinedly British, with 98% of me hailing from the British Isles and northwest Europe. But look! The remaining 2% turns out, with intriguing specificity, to be Sardinian! I've no idea where that came from, but I'd certainly like to know.

By the way, I discovered today that a blog I wrote a for a local travel company about my trip to Japan was published back in July. It would have been nice to know about it before, but here I am, in breathless journalistic style, taking part in non-academic engagement.